Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Problem with Chappaquiddick

The problem with Chappaquiddick is what it did to the baby boomer generation and how it still affects our country today.

Some context; since FDR’s defeat of Hoover in 1932, liberals held the moral high ground on a number of issues; the Depression, WWII, Korea, civil rights, ich bin ein Berliner, the Cuban Missile Crisis, even Vietnam, at least in the beginning.

Then came Chappaquiddick, now the people who held the moral high ground were forced to compromise their morals for something they knew was very wrong; the crime, the cowardice and the cover up. Worse yet the perpetrator was the brother of a national icon, the hero to all liberals and a large percentage of the general population. Remember the intensity of the JFK funeral, the overwhelming sense of loss. This was a bitter pill to swallow, almost impossible to reconcile. It was easier to just look away.

So the people who thought they held the moral high ground on the most important issues of the day compromised their morality. I won’t try to analyze their motives. Some, maybe most of the justifications to look the other way, stemmed from the desire to do well.

Ok if what I’ve written so far makes sense and you care to read further here is my conclusion; the people who viewed themselves as moral had to compromise with something they knew was wrong. Since these people thought themselves above moral reproach it must have been morality that was wrong. This rejection of morality, combined with our culture of narcissism, planted the seeds of the moral relativism we see today.

My evidence of this moral dilemma, George Bush of course. The first time you look away, Chappaquiddick, at least the first time for our generation, it was difficult. The next time, Clinton’s infidelities for example, it got easier. Now we slide down the slippery slope to torture. It’s not so tough to look away in a world where there are no moral absolutes. Why for instance Bob Packwood was unfit to be a Senator and Bill Clinton, fit to be President. Or better yet, why was Larry Craig demonized for having a wide stance in a public restroom and Barney Frank given a free pass to pay a male prostitute for sex while allowing a male prostitution ring to operate out of his apartment. The answer of course is moral relativism. The ends justify the means.

I am not trying to attack anyone. I do NOT believe Republicans are more moral than Democrats. Nor am I trying to blame our conduct today on Ted. I have tremendous sympathy for him and his entire family and I wish him the best. He has tried to champion a better world for all.

That said he showed little sympathy for Mary Jo Kopechni. Ted had his moment to show courage and he failed the test. I don’t know if I could have done any better. I hope I never get the chance to be courageous. If I am faced with such a test, I hope I have the ability to do the right thing regardless of the personal consequences. Most probably I’m no more up to the task than Ted was.

What I am saying is when people chose to look away we all pay a steep price.

No comments:

Post a Comment